Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lucky Girl Necklace

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody! Did you all wear green? I know I did! I had on a bright green long-sleeved t with a light green tank top underneath. And this necklace:

I call it my "Lucky Girl" necklace, because I love being part Irish and all the good stuff that comes with it. The color green, four-leaf clovers, rainbows and leprechauns, and of course, Lucky Charms! ;o) Although technically I don't think you have to have a bit o' the green running through your veins to enjoy a bowl of this magically delicious cereal.

Anyway, because I love all things Irish, I made myself this necklace about three years ago, and I wear it every St. Patty's Day. I wish I could wear it more often, but I don't think I'd get away with it.


Aside from wearing green, we also celebrated with our annual visit from Lucky the Leprechaun, who left this little poem (hurriedly jotted, so excuse any imperfect rhyming!) on a green post-it on our door:

Seek it high and seek it low,
So the legend told,
At the end of every rainbow
There lies a pot of gold.
I had enough to spare this year
So I'm sharing some with you,
Five gold coins for every boy
Whose heart is good and true.


This mischevious little fellow left fifteen gold-foil chocolate coins hidden in our livingroom while the boys were eating their dinner. They had a good time hunting them down and enjoying a few for dessert.

How did you spend your St. Patrick's Day?

2 comments:

  1. You make such beautiful things, Christy. And I think you should wear it more often since you like it so much.

    We don't celebrate Irish holidays in Norway, but our grade level team decided to set leprechaun traps in our classrooms anyway. There were about fifty very excited children watching the traps, hoping to catch a real live one.

    I found a letter from a leprechaun, and with a bit of tweaking I made it fit our plans. When the children came in from recess, they found the traps (boxes with shoes in them, since leprechauns make shoes) had been sprung, little pipe cleaner ladders were propped up inside, a rolled up "scroll" letter from "the leprechaun" was inside, along with gold chocolate coins.

    Many of the children wrote about it afterwards, and several said they were going to set leprechaun traps at home. One little girl came to school with two coins from the trap she set last night.

    It's a really fun holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea, Belinda! I bet those kids had so much fun. It's the little traditions that count, in my opinion. These are things that kids remember and possibly pass down to the children in their lives when their grown. I'm so glad you made it such a fun holiday for them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a few moments to brighten my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...