Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake

Today my creativity led me to the kitchen. After spending the morning out in the winter weather, I came home craving something warm and tangy and sweet. After flipping through my recipes, I decided to try my hand at a new one: Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake.


Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake

1 egg
2 cups Bisquick mix
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed, rinsed and well-drained
1/4 cup Bisquick mix

Lemon Glaze

2/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tsp lemon juice

Beat egg slightly in a medium bowl. Stir in 2 cups Bisquick mix, sugar, milk, and lemon peel.
In a small bowl, toss blueberries with 1/4 Bisquick mix (this is to absorb excess moisture and prevent the berries from clumping together in the cake), fold into batter.
Spread into a greased 9"x 1 1/2" round cake pan or 9"x 13" rectangular baking dish (I bet you could also use a bundt pan).
Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes. Drizzle with Lemon Glaze. Serve warm.



Look at all that yummy blueberry goodness! This came out tasting like a big blueberry muffin. It hit all the right notes as far as warm and tangy goes, though it could have been a little sweeter for my personal preference. The next time I make it I will definitely increase the sugar to 1/2 cup. The Lemon Glaze was the perfect compliment. I had one piece warm when it came out of the oven this afternoon, and another one cold (well, room temperature) just a moment ago that was equally good.


If you decide to try it for yourself, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks so yummy! I think I'll have to try it! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious! Thanks for including the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a few moments to brighten my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...