Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Christy's Top Secret (Shh!) Chocolate Cake Recipe

Is there anything on earth better than a decadant slice of chocolate cake? Well, maybe, but it's gotta be right up there. I've tried and tweaked a lot of chocolate cake recipes over the years and I've finally hit upon one that's just about perfection. It's rich, dark, and moist -- just what you want in a chocolate cake. I don't share the recipe with just anyone, so consider yourselves among the priviledged few. ;o)

Today we had Dominic's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese, since we had to cancel it two Saturdays ago when we all got sick. Though we normally wouldn't schedule a party on a school night, we made an exception this time since they're always so crazy full on the weekends. It actually worked out really well. And of course, I had to make cupcakes! I decorated them with fudge frosting and various sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, and chopped nuts. And they were yummy!


Christy's Top Secret Chocolate Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dark cocoa (regular cocoa is also okay if you don't have the dark)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coffee, cooled

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix cocoa, sugar, salt, flour, and baking soda.
In a medium bowl, beat together yogurt, oil, eggs, vanilla, and coffee.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, whisk until smooth.
Pour into a greased pan (I use a springform pan with a hole in the center, but you can use a bundt pan, 2 9" rounds, or a 9X13" or lined muffin tins)
Bake at 325 F for one hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool for 20 minutes, invert on a wire rack sprayed with cooking spray.
Cool 20 more minutes or longer. Gently loosen from pan with a butter knife or thin rubber spatula.

Decorate as desired.



I hope you enjoy it! Have a great night!

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh wow!! I gained 15 lbs reading the recipe and another 5 while licking the monitor :)~
    I have got to try this one this weekend. I made a coca cola cake last weekend and it was the BEST choclate cake I have ever made. I dunno if you have Cracker Barrel restaurants where you are but its a copy cat version of thiers and OMG!! I think this one might have it beat tho....I'll let ya know this weekend! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! We've been to lots of Chuck E. Cheese parties too - good times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coca Cola cake? I've heard of it, but I've never tried it. Does it taste like Coke? We've got Cracker Barrel here, but I've only been there a few times, and not in a long while. I've never had their cake! Maybe I should plan a trip there in the near future... ;o)

    If you try my recipe, let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOHHHHHH yuuuuuummmmmm!!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a few moments to brighten my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...