Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Reading Fairy

What a beautiful day it was! I hope that all of you lovely ladies had a chance to get outside and enjoy the sunshine! My two youngest boys and I decided to make an impromptu picnic. It was just too nice out to go right back indoors after school. So I stopped at a grocery store on the way home and picked up some rolls and ham and cheese, carrot sticks, cookies and juice boxes and we stopped at a playground along the waterfront and had a wonderful lunch and playtime.

Anyway, I did get a little coloring in. Check it out.

This is another digital stamped image that I found that I thought was just adorable. It's an illustration by a children's book author, but I've forgotten who. I think it might say in small lettering under the picture... If I weren't racing against the clock to get this posted by midnight, I'd google it for you, but anyway...

I'm not thrilled with how I colored it, but I did learn a valuable lesson. Always color your focal point first! I unfortunately began with the books working from the bottom up, and by the time I got to the little fairy child, they didn't exactly match the look I was going for with her. Without really thinking about it, I guess I had definite plans of what she was going to look like. I didn't realize until later after I'd gone downstairs and passed the photo on my bedroom wall, what a strong resemblence she bears to my mother.


This photograph is my favorite one of her. It's a long story and it's too late to go into tonight, but I don't have a relationship with my mother. She left when I was young, but for some reason this picture of her looking so sweet and innocent just melts my heart. It makes me wonder if things could have been different, if only... If only what, I don't know.


I colored it with Copics -- too many to list. I pretty much used all the ones I own at the moment. I wish I hadn't colored the book in her lap orange. It really clashes with her dress, don't you think? And I also slopped a little brown onto her forehead at her hairline. I wasn't sure if I should use the colorless blender on it, or if that would also take away the color of her skin or make it all muddy. If anyone knows the answer to that, please fill me in! So far I've only used the colorless blender for going out of the lines onto the blank paper.

I'm not sure if I'll actually do anything with this one, or just chalk it up to practice. But I guess that's the great thing about it being a digital image. If I don't like it, I can just print off a new one and begin again.

Kind of like that saying from Anne of Green Gables, "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." It gives me hope that things don't have to stay the way they've always been. People can change. We can be the change we want to see in this world.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! The artist is Elizabeth O. Dulemba, and the image is also available in rubber. Orange and blue are opposite each other in the color wheel, so I don't think it the book clashes at all! And, yes, she looks eerily like the picture of you mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elaine! That's good to know! So for those of you who prefer a rubber image to ink up, I'm sure you could find it with a simple google search.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a few moments to brighten my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...